Merrick Auto Museum's 1917

1917 Milburn Light Electric
Front photo

Side photo

Body number tag
Photos courtesy of the Merrick Auto Museum
Owner: Merrick Auto Museum
Email: Ginny Shueey, Museum Curator (ginnys-at-antiqueauto.org)
Location: Merrick Auto Museum, Alda, Nebraska 68810
Serial number (frame stamp): 2-373-7 is on the right front spring horn. A small brass tag located under the driver’s seat reads: Built By The Milburn Wagon Co., Toledo, OH, Car # 23737.
Motor number (title): 458256
Body number (square plate):  
Model: Milburn Light Electric Model 27
Wheels: Wire
Color: Blue, with black running gear and cream wheels
Upholstery:  
Seating capacity: 4 -- Rear seat for 2; auxiliary, fold-down front seats for 2 additional under the windshield
Windows:  
Steering control: Lever (tiller)
Speed control: Lever
Top speed:  
Range:  
Forward speeds: 4
Reverse speeds: 2
Length overall:  
Width overall:  
Height overall:  
Wheelbase: 105 inches
Track:  
Tires:  
Tread:  
Brake systems:  
Curb weight:  
Instrumentation:  
Lights:  
Heater:  
Motor: A brass tag on the motor reads:
Automobile Motor, No. 458256
Classification GE1051F14W6
H.P.: blank
Volts: 76
Amperes: 33
Speed: 1950 RPM
Pat. Dec. 1, 1903
General Electric Co.
Schenectady, NY, USA
N. P. 12278
Drive train: Worm gear
Controller: Non-arcing rotating drum, 4 speeds forward, 2 speeds reverse, [owner note: controller and shunt completely rebuilt]
Springs:  
Axles:  
Batteries:  
System voltage:  
Charger:  
Equipment:  
Price, new:  
Owner's remarks: We purchased this Milburn on Dec 1,1995 from IRS on a sealed bid in Tulsa, OK.  Property was seized and sold for nonpayment of taxes.  Former owner listed on title is J. Brown, Jr. and Jean C. Akin.  Odometer reading 30805. Wheelbase 105 inches.   At an earlier time the wiring caught fire and severely charred the wooden undercarriage. The car required a complete frame-off restoration. I did find a like new 1915 Quarter in the seat lining.  When we were originally starting the restoration on our car, a gentleman by the name of Todd McGraw gave us a tremendous amount of help. We have sales literature for years 1910, 1915-1918. We also have parts lists for 1915, 1920, and 1922-23. We only have an owner’s manual/instruction book for 1915.  We used deep draw marine batteries.  Controller and shunt were completely rebuilt. 
Research Notes: The 1957 Antique Auto Registry shows Harold P. Phillips owning a "1915" Milburn coupe with motor#458256 in "original" condition---same motor # as this Merrick Milburn. A San Antonio newspaper article confirmed that Mr. and Mrs Phillips still owned this car in 1962. Assuming this motor didn't migrate from one car to another, this Merrick Museum 1917 Milburn is the formerly "missing" Harold P. Phillips car.

02/05/2012 update: The unique, non-original rain shield on this car sweeps nearly from the tip of the roof, forward and down.  Looking at the "Missing Milburns", the 1949 A.C.Baker car photo seems to display a similarly raked and located rain shield.  Since we don't know the owners prior to Phillips, it may be that this is the missing A.C. Baker car, which was labeled as a "1917 Model 27L".
1957 harold phillips listing